Tuesday, April 3

Odds & Ends

Crochet Confessions
The other day when I picked up yarn at Hancock's I forgot to snap a photo of this particular yarn. It's a colorful 100% nylon ribbon yarn by Dynasty called Thailand. I thinks it's a really pretty combination, reminds me of Creamsicles, although technically Creamsicle would only be orange and white and this yarn is much more colorful than that.


I must confess I intended to make my mom a rosary for her birthday. I picked out some beautiful spirit beads and hematite and a lovely nylon cord to make this for her. Needless to say it got stuffed into my WIP's bin and forgotten. Well, not so much forgotten as just put aside I suppose. Anyway, I never did make the rosary. However, my friend and crochet buddy (who also beads) took the project and made it for me. I did make the rosary pouch for the rosary. Hehehe, the easy part you understand. So, since my mom isn't internet savvy we'll just keep this between ourselves. I am going to try to side-step taking credit for making the piece, but I really don't want to admit that someone else made it either. I made her a bed jacket for Christmas and it was too small. I picked out the same yarn and started another jacket for her in a size that I hope will work. I've gotten the main piece finished and have been waiting on her to come for a fitting before seaming it and adding the collar and cuffs. The rate it's going she may be getting it for Christmas next year! LOL, that's what I call a two-for-one!

Odds & Ends
While surfing the internet last night I stumbled upon a site that I found interesting. It's titled The AntiPattern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern and while not exactly crochet related it seems relevant. I know I'm constantly working on "designs" that go wrong with an end result that is more of a problem than the solution I had intended it to be. This seems to be the tenet of what the AntiPattern is all about.

On that note, I got to thinking I'd not seen any postings lately from What Not to Crochet http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/ so I wandered on over there to see what they'd been up to lately. Apparently not much going on in crochet gafs these days as their latest posting is a Satyr mask from the 1970's. Right beneath that was a posting that did catch my eye and one I feel doesn't really deserve a top spot on the site. It's a crocheted headband and purse set for a girl that uses those doll faces that are often bought for potholder and blanket baby projects. Now, I see nothing particularly scary about the items and I think were I still a little girl I'd be thrilled to have them. This is called dropping the ball in my humble opinion, choosing something that truly doesn't belong there, and doesn't live up to the reputation that this site has so carefully crafted. I think there are a lot worse items out there that could have been chosen over this little girls' set. Take the horrid Hamburger dress for instance; http://www.joykampia.com/fashion/hamburgerdress.html
now there is something truly ugh inspiring and much more befitting of a posting on the infamous page.

Off the Hook
I have just finished up the pattern called The Incredibly Versatile Giant Snowflake. http://www.crochetme.com/the-incredibly-versatile-giant-snowflake
I made this using RH Soft Baby in a Pink Pomp and a size N hook. It came out lacy and beautiful. I still need to wash and block it but here's a picture since I just couldn't wait.
I'm now on my next project and hope to have a photo of the completed piece for everyone really soon. Until next time, happy crocheting everyone!

No comments:

Google